Saturday, February 17, 2024

The Typewriter

 Meeting a new baby was fine and cool and good, but the REALLY exciting part of visiting Uncle Lucas and Aunt Melissa's house (for Owen) was discovering that Uncle Lucas owned several typewriters.

He was fascinated.

"Dad, I HAVE to have a typewriter. Will you please get me one?"

Remembering his relentless and incessant campaign for a harmonica I decided that I would set a specific and difficult-to-obtain bribe from the outset. 

"I think that only children who have read the entire Lemony Snicket 'Series of Unfortunate Events' are able to own typewriters."

"I'm on it. James, can you get me the first book the minute that we walk in the door?"

This was Sunday afternoon. Owen had decided several years ago that Count Olaf was too scary for him to read the Lemony Snicket books, and nothing that I said in their favor could change his mind. Now all of his objections were gone. He read them on the couch. He read them at the dinner table. He read them at bedtime, and he woke up early so that he could read them in the morning. He read them instead of his school books. He read them on on the beaches, and on the landing grounds, and in the fields. With growing confidence and strength he read them. 

On Wednesday morning he came down to breakfast and informed me that I owed him a typewriter. So I bought him one. You all are about to get receive a lot of letters.

He's been quiet all day except for an incessant click-clacking. He handed me this letter within five minutes of owning it. 


     dear dad

Thank you for this typewriter it is simply glamorus. Thank you for porposing this deal and thank yguo goodness porposing thjy   fit you make my life better in EVERY POSIBLE WAY!

LUV U

                                            LOVE

                                    Owen Nicholas Smith 


This personality shines through his prose. I'm reminded of when we first got the ipad and showed the kids how to message our phones.

(Messaging James)

J: James, how did your piano lesson go this morning?

iPad: Let's discuss this at a later time.


(Messaging Owen)

J: Owen, did you have a good piano lesson with Grandma?

iPad: <gif of dancing shirtless fat man>

it was SOOOOOO good i got 3 my songs checked of and a star

<sticker of a star-eyed unicorn vomiting a rainbow>

Given that the typewriter can't insert gifs or emojis I think that it will be a helpfully tempering influence on Owen as a correspondent...

No comments:

Post a Comment