Friday, October 16, 2015

Recently Reading

Homer-
The funeral games of Patroclus in Book 23, which are an excellent way of consuming classical literature and sports drama. Speaking of sports drama, J and I successfully stayed awake through and ENTIRE movie last night, and I highly recommend Moneyball. It sort of reminded me of the Iliad, actually, when Antilochus boasts before the foot-race of his fleetness of foot, whereat Achilleus son of Peleus arose and to the Achaians made address that the son of Nestor was indeed fleetest of foot among the young men, but could he get on base?

Martial-
Clever writing, but it's all either really filthy or horribly sycophantic. I guess that's kind of what sells epigrams in first century Rome.

Dickens "American Notes-"
Lux, if you're looking for your copy of this book, I guess I have it. (I don't remember borrowing it, but your signature is inside the front cover. So far it's delightful, although he's showing far too much preference to Boston. I particularly enjoyed the account of the steamer journey across the ocean and how the various members of his company dealt with seasickness. His comedic timing and voice are wonderful...I get the sense that Mr. Dickens would have been hilarious company on a long journey, even if you were dealing with seasickness. His recounting of the deaf-blind Laura Bridgman is also particularly touching. Dickens had a remarkable ability to find and appreciate the humanity in the most marginal of fictional characters, and I'm enjoying his compassionate interest in a real-life invalid as well. Her physical handicaps were no deterrent to him at all--the only thing he cared about was whether she could get on base.

THIS WEEKEND:
-Mom and Dad will be wonderful and let me move back home with the boys temporarily while J goes to Vegas Charlotte for a weekend with Jess.
-The music of Revueltas and Copland tonight with BPO, a Broadway show with George Costanza Jason Alexander tomorrow night, and a Halloween show on Saturday in which I will fulfill my lifelong goal of getting paid to wear a toga.
-I will be the lone parent responsible for getting up with Owen in the middle of the night. Currently we both have nasty colds, so I expect to see a lot of him.

1 comment:

  1. From Lux: My signature may be in the front cover, but it's probably still your book.

    ReplyDelete